Wednesday, February 9, 2011

High School Mutants

We all had our place in high school. Mine was somewhere between nerd and punk. I thought I was being all radical and intellectual writing graffiti like "Bombs aren't cool" and "Poverty is the lack of means of production" (a quote by the way, not my own). I even had one guy chase me down the hall yelling "Communist!" I yelled back "At least I'm not a founding member of the A**hole Party like you." Ah, memories...

I was also a bit of a drama queen--in that I took Drama and was in a couple school plays. One part I got was as a slutty cheerleader (not what I auditioned for), but because I felt totally uncomfortable playing the part of a cheerleader (nerdpunk remember), I dyed my blonde hair purple and got a buzz cut. I think I was unofficially the only punk cheerleader out there, except for those tattooed broads from the Smells Like Teen Spirit video.


I was so punk, my friend even had a mohawk. She listened to real old school punk like Sex Pistols, Clash, and DOA. Now she drives an SUV and listens to Garth Brooks. It's weird how people mutate from their high school selves sometimes.

Not me though. I'm still a nerdpunk (or punknerd). I still like science, politics, philosophy...and Green Day.